Archive for September 2011
The instructions I used are at WebMatrix and node.js: The easiest way to get started with node on Windows
Here’s how it went for me:
- WebMatrix Install: It took a looooong time to install, about 30 minutes. I was running quite a few things on my machine at the time, including VS2010 and SQL Mgmt Studio, but it still seemed like a heckuva long time, so be patient.
- iisnode for iis7 express (x86) Install: If you don’t have Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86) installed then the iisnode installer will tell you that you need it. Just click my link here and get it. It installs easily and then the iisnode install is a piece of cake. (FYI: You’ll have the same “This program is not commonly … etc.” message if you try to run after downloading in IE9 and that’ll happen on the next two also.)
- iisnode for iis7 (x86) Install: For my messing about I didn’t really need to install it but I wanted to anyway. There were no issues.
- iisnode for iis7 (x64) Install: I didn’t install this, ’cause I’m using a 32 bit machine for this messing about, but if you are installing the x64 version then I’m guessing you’ll need the C++ 2010 redistributable for x64.
- node.js templates for WebMatrix: Easy install. Thanks to Steve Sanderson (the genius behind knockout.js) for the templates
If I get some time free and I feel courageous, I might try to figure out how to use VS2010 to write node apps. If anyone out there has already done it then please leave a comment – no point in re-inventing the wheel.
I installed node.js a month or so ago and it wasn’t too much trouble, but I had to install Cygwin and other stuff with it for it to work on Windows. I wasn’t interested in taking the time to compile it myself, so I used what the node.js guys were good enough to supply.
I wasn’t looking forward to upgrading though, but Tomasz Janczuk came to my rescue! He’s been working on making node.js work on not just Windows but also in IIS AND IIS Express. All the links you need to download node.js are here: Current installation packages for node.js and iisnode for Windows.
Instructions on how to get started using it are here:
- Getting started with node.js on Windows
- WebMatrix and node.js: The easiest way to get started with node on Windows
- Node.js community wiki